birding-aus

Wonderful Werribee WTP

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Wonderful Werribee WTP
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:28:03 +1000
Hi all,

Well, yesterday the WTP turned out better than could have been imagined. The
wind was howling but the sun was out and, maybe because it was so cold, the
light was spectacular.

Because of the terrible forecast, 30+ knot winds and rain, we made a late
start and didn't get to the "T" section ponds until about 0930. Not
expecting too much we were pleasantly surprised as the day started out with
a very nice gathering of 22 +/- Avocet on the Summer Lagoon and a further 25
+/- on the flooded paddock opposite. The day may become interesting yet, we
thought. And it did, WTP should never be underestimated. A movement beside
the track turned out to be a very early Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo. To prove
it wasn't an exception we then found two more across the road at the Western
lagoon, and they were looking very amorous.

In the lagoon inside the spit we had the first of a series of large flocks
of birds. Twenty or so Little Egret were feeding along the shallows on the
sheltered side of the lagoon and, out in the bay beyond the spit, was a
feeding frenzy of Little Pied and Little Black Cormorants, Silver Gulls,
Fairy and Crested Terns and a couple of Gannets for good measure; probably
over 200 birds in all.

When we got to the boat ramp gate the flock had moved up the bay, still
feeding, as they went, following the fish well up past the bird hide when we
last saw them. On land we had more than 50 Zebra Finch in a flock so I guess
they had a very successful summer of breeding.

The variety of ducks was low and the normal flocks of Aus Shelduck (Mountain
Duck on my day list) were not to be seen. In their place though were
enormous flocks of Chestnut and Brown Teal, probably up to 500 in one of the
flocks. And the Coot had decided to get all communal as well and out near
the Borrow Pits we found a flock of 60 +/-. The only other duck in good
numbers were the Hardheads.

We even had a “black and white” flock along the coast near the new groin.
For some reason the Willie Wagtails, Magpie-larks and Magpies had all got
together for a convention. Of course the Welcome Swallows were swarming over
the ponds as usually and to add to the out of season birds there was a Fairy
Martin in their midst.

As I mentioned, the lighting was spectacular and the Chestnut Teal, Cuckoos
and Straw-necked Ibis literally radiated kaleidoscopes of colour. Some
photos are on BOCA.

The downside of a day like yesterday is the dust. The inside of my car will
no longer pass the “white glove test”, not that it ever would – it’s
actually a mobile hide after all rather than a car, and our teeth were
grinding gritty particles that had flooded in with every breath and word. We
tried, not to think about the ingestion of dust though, it doesn’t bring
good images to mind while birding at Werribee.

But really, after a day like yesterday all one can say is, thank heavens
that back in 1892 the town planners of Melbourne decided to send all their
raw sewage to settle in wide, open ponds on the distant, flat and barren
plains of coastal Werribee.

Cheers

Jenny