birding-aus

FW: A tsunami of change potentially heading Broome's way

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: FW: A tsunami of change potentially heading Broome's way
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:15:20 +1000
Unfortunately, the construction of one LNG plant is likely to act as a
nucleus for the construction of other industrial complexes (refineries,
additional LNG plants, support industries for oil/gas industry etc) in
Broome. This has already happened on other parts of the WA coastline such as
Port Hedland (south of Broome) and Kwinana (south of Perth), where the
establishment of one refinery led to the establishment of others, initially
to service the first mining and oil booms of the late 1960s/1970s. There are
allegedly vast untapped reserves of oil and LNG off the north-west
coastline. The establishment of LNG plants and oil refineries in Broome has
the likely added knock-on effect of opening up these offshore resources for
exploitation and providing added legitimacy to establishing new terrestrial
mines (minerals) in the Kimberleys (there are several large proposals on the
table at the moment). In my mind, that is the potential tipping point for
major environmental damage to occur. There is already intense pressure from
oil and gas companies to explore for and/or open up oil and/or gas fields
right along the WA coastline, as far as I'm aware as far south as Margaret
River (south of Perth). So we are talking about large-scale operations in WA
which in the long-term could lead to several industrial centres being
established along the WA coastline.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW