birding-aus

A tsunami of change potentially heading Broome's way

To: "Laurie Knight" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A tsunami of change potentially heading Broome's way
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:26:57 +0100
A view form Wales:

I think this might be a bit of over dramatisation.

In particular LNG terminals can be quite unobtrusive - we have one here in the
Pembrokeshire National Park in the Milford Haven Waterway (all protected and
environmentally sensitive) and while there are a number of valid objections to
it on safety grounds etc now it is up and running it is on balance much cleaner
and less of a pollution risk than oil jetties and refineries. (We have first
hand experience here of the latter with the Sea Empress disaster) There also
may not be "thousands" of ships - each ship carries an awful lot of LNG. And
while the installation of the pipeline caused some disruption, now you would
not know it was there.

However I have to agree that I would hate to see Broome turned into yet another
mining town - apart form anything else, the area is an important tourism
resource which would be completely lost if its character changed.

Rosemary

Wales