birding-aus

RFI Tropicbirds in Victoria

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI Tropicbirds in Victoria
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 05:38:57 +0000
The BA Atlas has two records of White-tailed Tropicbird in Victoria - one from
the Gippsland Lakes, and another from Mallacoota. I have also heard of an
unconfirmed record of White-tailed Tropicbird seen near the Victorian coast on
the ferry over to Tasmania. On the southern NSW coast they're occasionally seen
on pelagics. I'm not sure if they've been seen on any Eden trips, but they have
been seen on a trip run out of Ulladulla.

Interestingly there are quite a few Australian inland records of White-tailed
Tropicbird, for example near Griffith (450 km from the coast, I assume along
the Murrumbidgee) and one near Gilgandra north of Dubbo. More recently there
was a bird seen in Roma, Queensland (400 km from the coast). Similarly
Red-tailed Tropicbird seem to turn up inland with some regularity, with the
most inland record coming from Bourke in NSW (800 km from the sea, presumably
following flowing the Darling River). As far as I can see there are no
Victorian Red-tailed Tropicbird reports, although there is one from over the
border in sunny South Australia.

Also just to give everyone an update the status of the White-tailed Tropicbird
found recently in Leongatha - it was released by an animal carer (Michelle
Thomas) in Merimbula, Saturday 21 May 2011. She said the bird flew quickly out
to sea. [For the record there's a recent record of a White-tailed Tropicbird
from Merimbula - flying quickly out to sea, 21 May 2011.]

Cheers,

Tim Dolby