birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo at Beechmont, SEQ

Subject: Oriental Cuckoo at Beechmont, SEQ
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:30:30 +1000
About a month ago on the Birds Queensland website I reported seeing an Oriental Cuckoo at my home in Beechmont on the edge of Lamington NP about 5kms from Binna Burra. I have lived here for about 30 years and it was my sighting of one. I assumed it was just passing through but to my surprise it is still here and I see it regularly but unpredictably. It feeds on caterpillars in a Red Ash (Alphitonia excelsa) outside my bedroom window and most of my sightings have been when I've been lying in bed or using the adjacent bathroom. Anyone who wants to come up and look for it is welcome but I will reserve judgement as to whether I invite you in to the bedroom until you arrive. However, you are welcome to sit on the toilet.
Regards,
Barry Davies
Gondwana Guides