birding-aus

RFI Rufous Scrubbird

To: <>, birding aus <>
Subject: RFI Rufous Scrubbird
From: robert morris <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 21:55:58 +0000
Hi Joris
I would love to help you when you are here but I am in PNG 2 weeks then Canada
2 weeks then PNG 2 weeks in that period!
1) OK - I have heard Barrington Tops is closed. Now the wet season is finishing
the roads may be repaired. I have only been there once (its 800km south of
Brisbane). Send a note to birding aus:  to ask for up
to date details.
2) Lamington is a completely different place to Barrington Tops. It is in SEQ
700km north of Barrington tops and only 100km south of me. There are several
well documented sites to see Rufous scrub-bird here - e.g. get a copy of the
new Thomas, Thomas and McBride.You do not have to camp in the forest to see
them. I have seen them in the open at noon! But walk up as early as possible.3)
Glossy Black Cockatoos - wide spread but scarce. Duck creek road (O'Reillys -
in Lamington) is somewhere I have seen them a few times. You have to fine the
right kind of Casurina trees in valley floors.Also - Noosa Heads National Park
is a good area.4)I Don't know much about Glen Davis - what species are you
looking for? You won't see Regent Honeyeater there in June unless you are
expectationally lucky. Again try posting for info on Biridng Aus. I have seen
all the species in the Glen Davis area in SEQ except Regent Honeyeater. The
inland areas of Newcastle are the current best area for these. You need to
monitor recent reports for these.5) Bell Miners are locally very common. Mount
Glorious, Mount Nebo, Mount Coot-tha, Duck Creek Rd. Just learn the call.6) I
have never seen Buff-breasted Button-quail. I am in regular contact with the
survey team. No records this wet season as it was too wet. The last confirmed
record was over 3 years ago. There are no confirmed winter rceords in FNQ. Most
people tick Painted Buttonquails.7. Check eremaea for rarities:
http://www.eremaea.com/   I run the Queensland rarity line so I can let you
know if there is anything about.
I will be here until 24th June when I get back from PNG on this trip - I leave
on Sunday

cheers
Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia

Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:44:00 +0200

 Dear Rob, My name is Joris Elst and i’m a belgian birder, i’ve got your
e-mailadress from Mark Van Beirs, a good friend of mine. I’m planning a trip to
Australia in june – july this year.  I still have some questions about specific
species.   Mark said, that you might help me out. I will travel up the east
coast from Sydney to Cairns and then further on to Iron Range and Darwin via
Mount Isa.Recently I heard that Barrington Tops is unreachable for the Rufous
Scrubbird… IS this still the case and if yes do you know another good spot for
this species, away from Lamington?  Or are there good spots in Lamington that
are reachable without camping out in the forest…? Do you know good spots for
Glossy Black-Cockatoo?  I was planning to try for it at Dharug … Do you know a
good spot for Bell Miner?  I don’t have any spots for that species. I’m also
planning to spend 1 or 2 days in the Blue Mountains in the Glenn Davis area.
In the bird finding guides there is no specific spots mentioned, do you know
this area and can you suggest specific spots? Mark also suggested to ask you
about rarities that might be around at the moment?  Also if you had news about
Buff-breasted Buttonquail this year…? J I might get more questions in the weeks
to come, I’ll leave for Australia on the 18th of june, can I ask more questions
as they arise? Many thanks allready!! JorisBelgium