birding-aus

Bird Guide: Kununurra?

Subject: Bird Guide: Kununurra?
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:06:44 +0800

I can certainly recommend George Swann of Kimberley Birdwatching, but he is based in Broome and he may have survey commitments.

The best place to see Gouldian Finch is Wyndham. As you enter town you will see some sculptures in a water feature. When there isn't water lying around the district, then Gouldians are reported to come into to drink. I am not sure what time of day. In the past, they used to come into dripping taps at the Wyndham Hospital and at the caravan park, and they may well still do so. Similarly for the Lake Argyle Caravan Park. There are other places where they are good chances. See my web site, although the information is dated and may not be totally correct.

Kununurra is probably the best place in Australia to see Yellow-rumped Mannikin.

The general area is the also the best for Pictorella Mannikin, but these can be harder to find at times. You basically want generally flat areas with more grass than spinifex. Scattered trees are also good for shelter (eucalypts or melaleuca). An open waterhole in the general vicinity is also good. There are a number of such sites between Kununurra and Wyndham (and also east of Kununurra). The turnoff to Black Rock Falls was good in the past, and I have seen them at The Grotto near Wyndham and in the general area of Parry Lagoons and Parry Creek Farm also near Wyndham.

Star Finch is common in the area.

Kununurra / Wyndham is a very good area for birds such as Yellow Chat (Lake Argyle), Buff-sided Robin, Black Bittern, Australian Little Bittern, White-browed Crake, Mangrove Golden Whistler, White-breasted Whistler, Lemon-bellied (Kimberley) Flycatcher, Eastern Grass Owl, Shining Flycatcher, Spinifex Pigeon, White-quilled Rock-Pigeon, Sandstone Shrike-thrush, Northern Rosella, etc.

Try asking at the Kununurra Hotel for Jim Gardner. He is a local birder, and would probably know current sites for any species your parents are interested in.