birding-aus

Amalgamations

To: "Bill Stent" <>, <>
Subject: Amalgamations
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 13:06:07 +1000
Thanks Bill

First to me re the Inskip Peninsula I hope all parties will look to the future (it sounds as if urgent action could well be required) - not rake over the past.

As a local government Councillor I am familiar with developers' activities confusing objectors through substitute plans etc. and it is possible that that is happening here.

In particular I hope BASQ will phone Reg Lawler (he's given his mobile number) to get a mutual understanding of the realities of the situtation and what has to be done.

That said this interchange has reminded me to get my proxy votes (as a member of both BOCA and BA) posted - they have to arrive by 18th May.

I am voting for the unanimous resolutions of both Boards. Our elected BA and BOCA Councillors do not take such decisions lightly and I have been satisfied by the arguments and the arrangements put forward, especially in relation to local groups. I have spoken to a Board member about the gender balance on the proposed Birdlife Australia interim board and also accept that as an unfortunate necessity.

I have also taken into account the covering letter (dated 21 April) to BOCA members where the President underlines the serious situation of BOCA with the CEO having been unpaid since March 2010, no prospects of paying a replacement, and difficult issues about further expenditure cuts or asset sales.

I have checked and do not believe that letter has been sent to BA members and so cannot agreed with Grahame Rogers' assertion that the material sent to members by the two organisations is indentical (although it was before that letter).

The Boards' calls for a high voter turnout - and I urge others to follow their lead. The differences about Inskip Peninsula are to me an argument for more resources, not an argument against the merger.

Michael Norris
Melbourne