birding-aus

White-bellied Storm-Petrel off Port Douglas.

To: Del Richards <>, "" <>, Sean Dooley <>
Subject: White-bellied Storm-Petrel off Port Douglas.
From: David James <>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 21:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Del,

Nice! here are some storm-petrel records for the Coral Sea:

I did a trip in May 1997 from Townsville to the Mouth of the Fly and then east
round the coast of PNG to the mouth of the Sepik, aboard the RV Franklin. Left
Tsvl on the 8th, headed north inside the reef and saw 3 Brown Boobies between
12:20 and 18:00!
On the 9th we crossed from the GBR to the Qld Trough at dawn, about the
latitude of Cape Tribulation: 1 Fluttering Shearwater,  1 WFSP, 1 WISP and 2
BBSP (+ Tahiti Petrel, Streaked and Wedege-tailed Sheawaters, terns, boobies,
frigates).
On 10th, in NE Coral Sea 1 adult Long-tailed Jaeger, no storm-petrels.

14-15 june 1997, Cairns to Herald Cays, aboard a small charter boat. On 15th: 1
WISP, 1 WFSP and 1 BBSP .

28-29 June, Herald Cays to Cairns, aboard a small charter boat. From dawn to
midday on the 29th  over the Coral sea plateau (relatively shallow) and from
midday to 15:00 over the Qld Trench (deep), and then into the GBR. In the
morning 10 WBSP, 1 BBSP and 1 WISP. over the Trench 8 BBSP. On the reef, no
storm-petrels. Somewhere outside the reef (notes not clear) there was an
all-dark storm-petrel the size of a Fregatta but wings possibly more
angular like an Oceanodroma (brief views in poor light).

13-17 Sept 1998, Cairns to Herald and Coringa Cays, and return aboard a Navy
Patrol Boat: no storm-petrels or jaegers of any kind.

Stokes & Corben (1985: Corella 9: 25-9) reported on an 11 day survey of the
coral sea and GBR in May in 1981. They recorded WISP, WFSP, WBSP and BBSP
over vast areas, but in the n. GBR only storm-petrel was 1 WISP and no
jaegers.

I haven't heard of very many records of all dark WBSP in mainland waters. I'd
be interested to know why you eliminate Swinhoes especially and other all
dark Oceanodroma spp?

Cheers