birding-aus

Lesser Sooty & Sooty Owls & others

Subject: Lesser Sooty & Sooty Owls & others
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 11:56:24 +1000
Indeed, Tony. And I think, Chris, that if you look more widely at the
science you'll find that (as C&B note) the Phylogenetic Species Concept
(PSC) WOULD take in such factors as 'topography, *food, hunting, behaviour,
breeding, and vocalisations*' (as Tim says) in defining species. As this
would cause many more species than we currently have (the number depending
upon the defining characteristics applied by the PSC splitter), methods of
species definition remain open to discussion. Thus C&B appear to follow a
course of amending the BSC (Biological Species Concept, which incorporates
their palaeological skills) with molecular/DNA research discoveries.

C&B would, I'm sure, be the last to want to stifle discussion on this
interesting and constantly evolving topic.

Judith.
L-A