birding-aus

Cooperative feeding between a Little-black Cormorant and Platypus?

Subject: Cooperative feeding between a Little-black Cormorant and Platypus?
From: Ronda Green <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:31:38 +1000
I have seen little pied cormorants and white-faced herons dive for fish behind
a platypus in Running Creek (Southeast Queensland, near Rathdowney) and often
see azure kingfishers and cormorants keeping an eye on the platypus, but have
not seen anything that looks cooperative, and the platypus has sometimes seemed
quite startled by the birds' actions (and possibly with reason, as both
cormorants and herons have dived from above rather than from a position within
the water, and there are often white-bellied seas eagles around)

On 28/04/2011, at 12:00 PM,  wrote:

> [...]

Ronda Green, BSc(Hons) PhD
Araucaria Ecotours
http://www.learnaboutwildlife.com

ph 61 7 5544 1283
Visit us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/AraucariaEcotours

Chair Wildlife Tourism Australia: http://wildlifetourism.org.au
Chair Scenic Rim Wildlife: http://scenicrim.wildlife.org.au/
Honorary research fellow Griffith University