birding-aus

Antarctic penguins losing to climate change through 80% krill decline

To: "Ian May" <>
Subject: Antarctic penguins losing to climate change through 80% krill decline
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:54:32 +1000
Surely you jest??

A 'massive expansion of whale populations'? They are not even close to
approaching the original numbers that occupied the seas - and,
realistically, have the populations increased substantially - or are we
just seeing them more often because the threat of being harpooned close
to the coast has been eased?

Is it not more likely, or at least as likely, that the apparent decrease
of krill is part of the usual lifecycle of all populations - the rise
and fall, at times dramatic, of numbers as nature seeks to find a
balance that is sustainable in the longer term?

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the whale thing!

Colin
Brisbane

--
  Colin Reid