birding-aus

Tasmanian Boobook Migration

Subject: Tasmanian Boobook Migration
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:30:55 +1000
Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I asked whether anyone had observations of
Tasmanian Boobooks on the mainland. I'm still interested in
observations of them on the mainland, but to cut a long story short
there is little doubt that some boobooks are crossing Bass Strait.

Observations of boobooks at sea, on Bass Strait islands where Boobooks
aren't resident and beachwashed owls all very convincing. Certainly
there are boobooks in Tas in the winter so it must be only a
proportion of the population that crosses over. Its also interesting
that there have been no sightings of possible mainland boobooks in Tas
so there must be fairly limited mixing of boobooks on the mainland?

Cheers and thanks

Mick Todd

--
--