birding-aus

Perth Airport Birding, Kids lists and Northern Pintail

To: <>
Subject: Perth Airport Birding, Kids lists and Northern Pintail
From: Joshua Bergmark <>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:52:41 +1030
I'm almost 16, and have only been "ticking" for the last two years of my life.
I've always been interested in birds, and would always ID birds I saw, but
never specifically looked for them (wish I knew of Grasswrens when I was at
Kings Canyon...)
In regards to keeping lists - there are many birds I know I've seen, but I just
can't bring myself to tick. I guess for me I have to remember them. Personally
- I havent ticked anything I saw before I was 9 either because I cant remember
the sighting in the slightest or don't trust the ID (ie; Letter-winged Kite
in-between Sydney and Canberra according to a journal!). The few birds I have
ticked before 2 years ago include RTTropicbirds, White Tern and Woodhen on Lord
Howe, which were all pretty memorable

Personally - If my parents were birders and convinced me I'd seen a Northern
Pintail when I was 5... I probably wouldn't tick it if I didnt remember it (and
would probably be quite annoyed at that!)
Just my two cents worth :)

Joshua Bergmark