birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 4 Apr 2011 01:31:12 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Apr 2011.

Sun 3 Apr White-eared Monarch Euluma Creek Road, Julatten, Far North Queensland
1st sighting this year of this species, bird appeared to be a juvenile with a continuous white eye stripe over the eye and down over the ear coverts. It lacked the adults black horizontal band from the eye to the nape.
Keith Fisher

Sat 2 Apr Pied Heron, Yellow Oriole Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Pied Heron: 1 adult 2 imm. on golf course. viewed from carpark just insde the common gate. (3). Yellow Oriole: near forest walk car park. imm. feeding on large hairy caterpillers (1).
Ed Pierce

Thu 31 Mar White-breasted Woodswallow (Albino) South Mossman
Driving out of Mossman at about 10am I saw a white bird on the power lines opposite Mossman Agricultural Services on Alchera Drive (Capt. Cook Hwy) . I thought it was an escaped cage bird but turned round and parked. As soon as I got out of the car the bird flew off the lines and I could immediately see it was a Woodswallow. It was almost completely white but for a few small dark areas on back and wings. I didn't have the binoculars with me ( I know, time for a slap on the wrist!) and couldnt get close enough to see if it was also pink eyed. I've seen albinism in several species of bird before but never in a woodswallow. Is this very unusual?
Peter Houston

Wed 30 Mar Bower's Shrike-thrush Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Julatten, QLD
One bird in adjacent Geraghty Park, first one we have seen there in nearly six years. It was foraging around in the eucalypts (Queensland Blue Gum) and is not very common at this altitude (450m). We have 14 sightings in the Lodge grounds since 2005, mostly between April and July with the odd sighting in September, October and December
Keith Fisher

Sun 27 Mar White-winged Black Tern Alva Beach
Conservative estimate of 180 birds, some in partial breeding plumage. Hawking and feeding over salt pans and brackish wetlands. It was noted that there were a few Whiskered Terns mixed in the feeding flocks (180). ID pic by Len Ezzy
John & Christine Stewart (et al TRBOC outing) per Len & Chris Ezzy

Yellow White-eye Plantation Creek Boat Ramp Reserve via AYR
Solitary Yellow White-eye observed in Mangrove and Eucalypt beside a vehicle track about 100metres NE from the Plantation Creek boat ramp reserve amenities block. First time seen at this location, although this species has been reported previously about 5 km upstream. (ID pic by Ian Boyd)
John Stewart (et al TRBOC outing) per Len & Chris Ezzy

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.