birding-aus

Leg Flagging scurge now in Tasmania

To: "" <>
Subject: Leg Flagging scurge now in Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:19:51 +1100
g'Day all

An uncomfortable subject

It saddens me to report that in Tasmania this morning, I observed a number of “small waders” recently leg flagged. The birds were struggling about in moderate winds, hobbled by what appeared to be fresh looking manacles. These birds were in areas where in previous years, apart from an occasional flagged stint it has been unusual to see flagged waders. The birds seen today appeared to be struggling in only moderate conditions and if this is an example of 2020 Shorebird conservation, current programs needs to questioned, reviewed and modified urgently.

Can anyone inform us of the details, if they know of any recent wader leg flagging in Tasmania? Although I would like to see it banned, in the mean time it should be a requirement of leg flaggers to notify the community in advance of planned banding operations. Specifically the public should be notified when and where, the targeted species and by whom a leg flagging operation is planned. Something similar to the requirement to notify the public when a forest burning operation is planned.

Also, can any one inform us how the decision is made by banders to apply
multiple flags on a particular bird.

Regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania