birding-aus

Mammal field guide - for the field...

To: "'Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Mammal field guide - for the field...
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:42:10 +1100
Lindsay

Gooday, how is sunny North Queensland? Sorry to disagree with you re the
book industry but I have bought several books, usually out of date copies,
over the internet because I cannot justify paying far more for a book at
home just to keep the economy going. Have also bought several books from
Australian book sellers after making a price comparison. I like many others
I suppose have to look after my own economics. If the difference was only a
few percent then no problems but the differences are often greater than 50%
even after postage. A large latest edition text book for a bird course I did
at CSU a couple of years ago was something like $180 from the Uni, about
$140 from a co-op bookshop and $85 including post and delivery over Amazon.
How can I justify paying an extra $90? Either the economic system forces the
Australian book dealers to sell the books for the prices they do or they are
simply greedy, either way, I don't know and frankly don't care, I am looking
after my own pocket not theirs, and likely everybody else has the same
attitude for all purchases, from shirts to cars, not just books.

I know it is not good for Australian economics and business but what does
one do, what is the answer?

Greg Little