birding-aus

Pin-tailed Snipe in Broome

Subject: Pin-tailed Snipe in Broome
From: Adrian Boyle <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:17:55 +0800
Hi all

Just letting you all know that I found another  Pin-tailed Snipe at the Broome
Poo Ponds yesterday morning.

As you all know trying to get 100% id is very difficult but with lots of bronze
flecking in the crown and a few other subtle difference I thought it was a good
chance.

This morning however I managed to photograph the tail so far the only
diagnostic feature.

Todays photo is the first image in the below gallery with the majority of the
other photos being from last years bird.

http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/pin_tailed_snipe

This to my knowledge is now only the 2nd confirmed field identified Pin-tailed
Snipe for Australia.
There is currently 5 snipe present and I think there maybe 2 Pin-tails in this
flock but will try and get tail shots of the second bird over the next few days.

Many snipe are claimed as Pin-tailed on the Cocos islands and based on
distribution this is what would be expected but there is still no proof of the
identity of these birds as far as I am aware.
Having recently returned from a trip to Cocos I was surprised how small the
individuals on Cocos were.
However It is interesting that last years and this years Broome bird even
though feeding next to known Swinhoe's Snipe looks the same size.

Cheers Adrian Boyle