birding-aus

Tern migration peak on Sunshine Coast, Qld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Tern migration peak on Sunshine Coast, Qld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 07:54:20 +1000
Hi everyone,

An off-list question from a member prods me to give a little more information about Little Terns, not wishing to mislead for want of information.

It gets even murkier, but I didn't want to addle the situation with more complexity. You see, there are three populations of Little Tern in Australia. Well, that's how it's described for want of better knowledge.

1.
The northern hemisphere population is a clearcut overseas breeder, as I wrote in the earlier email.
2.
The east coast breeders all tend to arrive from September and breed through the spring down the east coast. We don't know where they arrive from.
3.
The northern Australian population, reaching from the western Gulf of Carpentaria across the Top End as far as the Kimberley. This population has been studied by Ray Chatto of NTNPWS, and from his aerial and some ground surveys (as you can imagine, access to NT coastal areas can be difficult) has shown them to be breeding in almost every month of the year. We don't understand much at all about the breeding drivers in this northern population, but it could be opportunism rather than seasonality. I'm not aware of any recent findings to change that belief.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia