birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 28 Feb 2011 01:31:01 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Feb 2011.

Fri 25 Feb Spotted Harrier Stockyard Creek, Owen
Found a single Spotted Harrier whilst spotlighting in the middle of large cereal crop stubble at 10.30pm in the evening. Unsure if the bird was roosting on the ground (if so easy fox prey I would have thought?) or hunting under the cover of darkness; never heard of them hunting in the middle of the night but maybe they do? Also many Stubble Quail flushed, as were around 10 - 15 Singing (Horsfield's) Bushlarks and a few Australasian Pipits
Chris Steeles and Michael Warnes

Wed 23 Feb Black Falcon Sturt Highway, Greenock
Driving along the Sturt Highway I noticed a couple of tightly bunched starling flocks wheeling around, looking serious. I pulled over to find a lone Black Falcon (1) splitting the sizable flock (300+) about a hundred metres up in the skies above Greenock.
Chris Steeles

Sun 20 Feb White Throated Needletail Nangwarry SA
a flock of approx 50 birds were soaring in 30 knot + winds over the main rd into Nangwarry by Kay Parkin & Colin Rogers et al
Kay Parkin & Colin Rogers et al

Plumed Whistling Duck Bool Lagoon
1 individual observed skulking under a shrubby Acacia and resting on the dirt, near the water at Bool Lagoon.
Kay Parkin & Colin Rogers et al

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.