birding-aus

Corellas at midnight?

To: Troy Mutton <>
Subject: Corellas at midnight?
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:01:30 +1100
We had large numbers of Corellas, both Little and Long-billed, roosting next
door for a short period. One night there came the chilling (to a roosting
Corella) call of a Powerful Owl. Have you ever heard the reaction of roosting
birds to a Powerful Owl call? They give short alarm calls that leave you in no
doubt that it is a fearful sound to them. I suggest that not all Powerful Owls
announce their presence by a call and an attack would certainly put the flock
to the air in the middle of the night. An inadvertent fright due to the
presence of a possum may also send a panic through a flock of high roosting
birds perhaps???

Regards

Allan