birding-aus

An afternoon in Maitland & Newcastle 22 Feb 2011

To: "'David James'" <>, "'Tom and Mandy Wilson'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>, "'Nathan'" <>
Subject: An afternoon in Maitland & Newcastle 22 Feb 2011
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:56:27 +1100
David

There are people in the Newcastle area that can respond better than I,
however, my understanding is that the Magpie Geese were found in the early
days, pre European, around the Newcastle Lower Hunter Region but they were
mostly eradicated by hunting and wetland loss etc. I can remember occasional
small numbers of MG causing excitement with local birders when suddenly
appearing at a small wetland near Morpeth in the 70's. In the early 90's
about 100 birds were reared in cages at the new Shortland Wetlands Centre
(don't know where the MG eggs/chicks came from) and simply let out of the
cages when able to "look after themselves". They have since spread to and
bred in other wetlands in the region. I can remember my father telling me
that fellow golfers at his club thought the release of MG was stupid and
irresponsible because they will rapidly multiply and "don't we know the
damage those birds cause to crops in the north of Australia".

Greg Little