birding-aus

Databases now BIRDINFO is defunct

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Databases now BIRDINFO is defunct
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:09:01 +1100
I apologise for raising the perennial database query but?
This week I spoke to Simon Bennett, the author of the Birdinfo database and
was disappointed to be advised he is no longer supporting the software;
software that I have been using for 10 + years, storing 10s of 1000s of
records. Indeed had I known this earlier I wouldn¹t have followed the advice
of Russell to purchase Vmware Fusion just so I could run Birdinfo on my
Mac?.but ? I need to consider alternatives now rather than pumping in
sightings and waiting for Birdinfo to cease working.

I have a number of questions for Birdinfo users but I would love to hear
from other happy database users as well (at this time I am not interested in
a web-based system because I like to manipulate my data):
1. Are there other Birdinfo users out there that have already migrated to
other birding databases and can recommend a Mac alternative?
2. Is it easy, practical, or indeed possible to import Birdinfo data into
another database? Birdinfo uses dBase files
3. Is that database able to export in a format acceptable to BA?
4. Does it use C&B taxonomy?
Many thanks in advance.
Alastair