birding-aus

RFI : hawk behaviour

To: "'Julie Neumann'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI : hawk behaviour
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:36:01 +1100
It would help to know what hawks but as a quick reply, yes some
individuals of some hawk species are aggressive in defence of their
nest, so that is the likely answer.

The Brown Goshawk is the likely one and the Peregrine Falcon also puts
up a fuss near their nest but I don't know that they actually harm
people.

Some local governments will put up signs that say something like "beware
swooping bird". Although these are normally for magpies, there is a
trend for the signs not to mention magpies, so they can be used for
other birds and also so that they don't get souvenired by Collingwood
football fans.

Philip