birding-aus

Central Australia says cheerio to Bob Gosford

Subject: Central Australia says cheerio to Bob Gosford
From: Chris Watson <>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:23:23 +0930
G'day all,
             The Central Australian birding community has sent one its true
characters northwards this week. I thought it would be remiss of me to not
put in a few words.

Anyone who has been involved in birding, politics, art, indigenous affairs,
or just generally not living under a rock in Central Australia over the last
few years, will almost certainly have crossed paths with Bob Gosford. A
great photographer, writer, and a well-travelled ornithologist, he has
helped many of us and leaves behind many friends who will miss him, but now
have the perfect excuse for regular forays to Darwin. He alerted me to the
idea of ethnoornithology - surely an under-explored avenue of research, in
this country anyway. I look forward to your posts from the tropics mate.

The silver lining to this cloud is that Bob has left his chair at the local
ABC studio vacant. Before it even had time to cool off I shoe-horned my way
into it and am now the new custodian of the local birding radio show "The
Twitch" on AM 783 ABC Alice Springs. Bob created this little program many
moons ago and I was lucky enough to do a few guest spots.

The new presenter for mornings on 783 is Tatiana Clancy and she is raring to
go on another season of "The Twitch". So if you're ever after 10 minutes of
extremely light-hearted birdy chat from The Centre then you can now listen
in online on Tuesday mornings at 9.45am or download the show as an Mp3 from
the website
http://www.abc.net.au/alicesprings/programs/alice_springs_mornings/ or just
follow the link on my website www.comebirdwatching.blogspot.com

Just to be clear: I don't get paid for doing it, it isn't a commercial thing
- I just thought folks might be interested. Also a warning, having listened
to the recording, I have realised I have nowhere near the amount of radio
presence as Bob. My voice sounds like a flock of geese honking through a
thick morning fog, and if bird-puns may offend....well, as I said, it's
light-hearted.
Anyway, cheers Bob and I'll see you in the mangroves as soon as I can.

Chris Watson
Alice Springs
--
*BIRDS CENTRAL*