birding-aus

RFI: Portland (Vic) to Port MacDonnell (SA)

To: "'Marlene Lyell'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Portland (Vic) to Port MacDonnell (SA)
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:00:42 +1100
Hi Marlene,

Red-tailed Black-cockatoos:

First let me tell you that this information is from last year, and I haven't
been in the area for a while. Ruth and I found Red-tailed Black-cockatoos to
the west of Casterton on the Casterton-Penola Road. Drive west along this
road from Casterton and look for the birds about half an hour or so before
sunset at the area where the forest opens up into paddocks. At one point we
had 25 of the birds in view. I know that Rob Drummond was photographing them
in this area last year, and was seeing much larger flocks than that. The
birds roost in the trees in this area, and also drink from the troughs on
the sides of the road. We had a particularly unique view where we had Emu,
Brolga and Red-tailed Black-cockatoo all in view simultaneously!

The other reasonably reliable area for Red-tailed Black-cockatoo in Victoria
is the Lower Glenelg National Park. This is accessible from Portland along
the Portland-Nelson Road. Heading west from Portland, turn right onto the
Winnap-Nelson Road and travel a few kilometres along this before turning
left onto River Road. This is a wide dirt road that travels along the
Glenelg River to the SA border. Stop off at the various campsites along the
way (Battersbys, Forest Camp, Sapling Creek). Probably best around sunrise
or sunset. You should have no trouble seeing Rufous Bristlebirds along the
track and a good chance of Blue-winged Parrot also.

Elegant Parrot:

Not an easy bird in Victoria - unfortunately the range overlaps Blue-winged
Parrot so you have to be very careful with your ID! The "usual" spot is the
Nhill-Harrow Road. Drive this road checking the fences alongside. You will
need to check every time you see neophemas to see if any are Elegants. Ruth
and I found a pair of Elegant Parrots at Merrett's Bushland Reserve which is
off the Nhill-Harrow Road (to the west), a couple of kilometres south of the
Little Desert Nature Lodge.

Elegant Parrots were also reported at Cape Nelson (near Portland), in the
Big Desert Wilderness Area and also in Murray-Sunset National Park last
year.

Other spots:

Cape Nelson is a wonderful spot. Great seabird watching from the lighthouse
- but the heathland around the area is also really good too. If you drive
from Portland to the lighthouse, there are several little areas you can park
in and walk.

The Lower Glenelg National Park is good. Be careful though, I noticed on the
Parks Vic website that quite a number of the tracks are closed due to flood
damage.

Killarney Beach between Warrnambool and Port Fairy is one of the reliable
spots for Sanderling in Victoria. That being said, Ruth and I stopped there
in December and found none there. Rufous Fieldwren is quite common in the
heath near this beach.

Narrawong is a little township on the Princes Highway to the east of
Portland with a river and a wetland that is worth a stop. Pull off onto the
Caravan Park Road. Most of the wetland is on private property, but worth a
scan with binoculars or a scope.

There are a few wetlands around Portland itself that would be worth a look
too, including the Fawthrop Lagoon, accessible from the Henty Highway and
from Tyers Street I think.

Have a good trip, and catch you on another pelagic sometime!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria