birding-aus

Shorebird behaviour in cyclones

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: Shorebird behaviour in cyclones
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:22:35 +1000
Chris, I don't think I have seen any replies to this question.

And I can't tell you about what shorebirds do in cyclones. However, I have observed shorebirds responding to very strong winds when the tail end of a cyclone has an effect in Caloundra, SEQ.

Normally birds choose to roost on intertidal sandbanks in the Pumicestone Passage at Caloundra. Bribie Island is the sand barrier island which protects the mainland between Brisbane and Caloundra to the north. The tip of Bribie island is very narrow for a couple of kms, and has come and gone many times over time. Birds, which wouldn't normally do so, choose the sheltered sand dunes on Bribie and hunker down amongst the spinifex grasses, looking very uncomfortable indeed. These dunes may be a couple of hundred metres from the shore, and well above the normal tide line. I have also seen them gathering in depressions behind the dunes. I also noticed that they were so concentrated on survival that one can approach them quite closely in such circumstances. They don't want to fly. I made this observation back in the early 90s.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia