birding-aus

Lord Howe Island 22-28 Jan 2011 including possible South Island Pied Oys

To: "" <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island 22-28 Jan 2011 including possible South Island Pied Oystercatcher
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:19:29 +1100
Hi All,
Kate and I have just returned from a week-long holiday on Lord Howe Island (22nd-28th Jan). Most of our time was spent enjoying the various beaches and/or snorkelling with the fish and Green Turtles. During our stay we still managed to visit a few other areas including the Malabar Hills and Kim’s Lookout area, Little Island, Ned’s Beach, Blinky Beach, Old Settlement Beach, Muttonbird Point and some time along the foreshore to the lagoon. I also managed a ~6 hr pelagic trip to Ball’s Pyramid with local guide Jack Shick (by joining a fishing trip http://sites.google.com/site/seatosummit/ ). Below is a quick annotated list of species seen during the trip.

Pacific Black Duck – 2 at the airstrip swamp on the 23 Jan.

Northern Mallard – 19 at the airstrip swamp throughout. The flock was very flighty, remained as a compact group, took flight when approached and did not return until I had moved away. All 19 birds appeared phenotypically pure, though one individual was leucistic. This is one of only three locations (the others being Norfolk and Macquarie Islands) where observers can expect to see genuine Northern Mallard as opposed to domestic ducks with Mallard-like features in Australian territory.

Great Cormorant – ones and twos in the lagoon. Highest count was 7 on rocks adjacent to Little Island. One at sea below Mt Gower on the trip to Balls Pyramid.

Kermadec Petrel: about 5 near Balls Pyramid on the pelagic. 1 intermediate bird remainder dark. 1 bird ashore (sick) on the southern end of Blinky Beach.

Black-winged Petrel – common around various headlands and easily seen at Ned’s Beach. Most active in the late afternoon. About 5 seen on the Balls Pyramid trip.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/black_winged_petrel

Gould’s Petrel – 1 near Balls Pyramid. I’m aware of just 3 previous records.

White-necked Petrel – 1 near Balls Pyramid.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/white_necked_petrel

White-bellied Storm-Petrel – about 30 on the Balls Pyramid trip including at least 8 together.

Wedge-tailed Shearwater – a few ashore after dark (e.g. golf course). About 50 on the Balls Pyramid trip.

Flesh-footed Shearwater – abundant within colonies after dark. Easily seen (distantly) from various beaches (e.g. Neds Beach) especially in the late afternoon. About 500 on Balls Pyramid trip.

Masked Booby – Hundreds, possibly low thousands visible on Roach Island through binoculars. Small numbers flying along the coast, especially the east coast, at various times. The most accessible birds were those on Muttonbird Point, viewable from the cliff-top platform. About 50 on the Balls Pyramid trip including quite a few juveniles.

Grey Ternlet (Noddy) – a few seen out to sea off Neds Beach. About 350 on the Balls Pyramid trip.

White Tern – abundant in areas with Norfolk Island pines. Numerous large chicks with grey down clinging to white feathers.

Sooty Tern – abundant and breeding at numerous locations (Ned’s Beach, Blinky Beach). Many recently fledged juveniles. A few on the Balls Pyramid trip.

Black Noddy – small numbers at various locations around the coast. About 20 on the Balls Pyramid trip.

Common Noddy – small numbers at various locations. About 10 on the Balls Pyramid trip.

[Red-billed Tropicbird – Not seen, though I was never at Kim's lookout around the middle of the day when most tropicbirds take flight. The locals believe it was last seen about a month ago]

Red-tailed Tropicbird – abundant around the northern headlands. Several birds in display flights from the plane on the approach. Reasonable numbers around the cliffs of Mt Gower. About 10 on the Balls Pyramid trip.

Purple Swamphen – about 20 around the northern swamp including several large black chicks. 2 on the oval.

Buff-banded Rail – very common in and adjacent to all open areas. At least 5 different clutches of small (< 1 week old) black chicks. Observed brood sizes ranged from 2-5.

Lord Howe Woodhen – Seen in many locations but more common in the southern half of the island. Sightings included 4 on the oval, 2 on northern side of airstrip, 1 on southern side of airstrip, 2 near Joy’s Shop, 2 + 2 large chicks in the grounds of the Blue Lagoon resort, 2 on the walk to Little Island, several around Capella.

White-faced Heron – up to 4 at the swamp near the airstrip.

Sacred Ibis – a vagrant to LHI. A single immature bird at the airstrip swamp throughout the visit. Possibly only the second record for the island.

Nankeen Kestrel – 1 over Neds Beach in pm on 22 Jan.

Bar-tailed Godwit – up to 25 on the airstrip. One and twos elsewhere around the coast.

Whimbrel – 5 on the airstrip and golf course and another 2 near northern swamp on 23 Jan.

Ruddy Turnstone – 75 counted around the golf course, airstrip and adjacent paddocks and rocky coast on 23 Jan. Similar numbers seen on subsequent days.

Pacific Golden Plover – 67 counted around the golf course, airstrip and adjacent paddocks on the 23 Jan. On other days there were always at least 20 on the airstrip.

Masked Lapwing – 10 on the golf course. 4 in paddocks near the Catalina crash site.

[South Island Pied Oystercatcher – Just prior to boarding the plane I was told of a black and white oystercatcher that had been present on the airstrip and adjacent beaches of the lagoon on the 27 Jan. I did not see it and am yet to see any photographs, but on range alone it seems likely that this bird is a South Island Pied Oystercatcher. I will provide an update when I hear more. Worth enquiring about if anybody plans a visit in the coming months.]

Domestic Pigeon – about 10 near the radio mast in the township.

Emerald Dove – Ones and twos seen frequently. Regularly heard throughout the day around the township. Probably averaged 5-8 sightings per day.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/emerald_dove

Sacred Kingfisher – Seen daily but only as the odd bird here and there.

Magpie Lark – common in all open areas. Probably 20+ pairs present.

Golden Whistler – common. Heard and seen wherever there is thicker vegetation.

Silvereye – common. Often seen in flocks of 10+.

Pied Currawong – seen or heard over most of the island but most frequently encountered around the airstrip and further to the south.

Common Blackbird – common. Most abundant around the township.

Song Thrush – 2 pairs near the cemetery, 1 near accommodation at Blue Lagoon.

Welcome Swallow – common with ones and twos in flight almost everywhere. High counts were 80 adjacent to Capella (resort), 25 along the fence near the northern swamp and about 20 around the airstrip including some recently fledged juveniles.

European Starling – 6 on grass near the Catalina crash site on 23 Jan.

Cheers,
Rohan

--
Rohan Clarke