birding-aus

Macquarie Island

To: <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Macquarie Island
From: "Tony Palliser" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:14:14 +1100
David,
This link should answer your question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Economic_Zone

So 200 nautical miles around an island such as Macquarie.   But of that
could hardly apply to Islands like Saibai in the Torres Strait where the
boarder I understand would be half way between Saibai and the Papua New
Guinea shore - grin!  Similarly one would assume that the same principle
would apply around the Territories too - namely Christmas Island, Cocos
Keeling, Heard Island, Norfolk.   The Australian Antarctic Territory though
appears at times (I have been informed) to be contentious.

Then comes the debate as to what constitutes Australasia - some include the
New Zealand some don't?  Some include Sula Island in the far northwest some
don't etc - I give up on this one.  Perhaps I should update the totals page
to include Australasia - that would make the game seriously interesting.

Cheers,
Tony