birding-aus

The Biggest Twitch

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: The Biggest Twitch
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:16:49 +1100
Hi all

Yesterday was a near perfect Australia Day. Three friends and I participated
in what became a large (by Aus standards) twitch at the Western Treatment
Plant. A couple of friends came over from western Victoria hoping to see the
Stilt Sandpiper and the other delectables at the plant and the day started
well with the Long-toed Stint making an appearance at pond 4, and then
things became sublime. Pectoral Sandpipers are normally  not common at the
WTP but yesterday we had 4 “running all over our toes” – well, not really,
but they were feeding in a group, not more than 10 metres from us!

Then word came through that the Stilt Sandpiper had been found on the rocks
at the Austin Rd ponds so there was a mass exodus from pond 4 to Austin Rd.
The result was a text book English-style twitch, in miniature. We had all
walked out across the paddock and ended up some 50 or 60 metres from the
rocks in a straight line.

Twenty-six people with some 20 scopes peered at the rocks, then all scopes
would be picked up in unison and the line would advance a few metres. This
was repeated again until finally the bird was spotted amongst the rocks. One
person would say “I have a perfect view” and the person beside them would
say “all I can see is the head”. Further down someone would call “there are
3 rocks with whitewash on them, which one do you mean?” Up and down the line
the view varied until finally the sandpiper ran after a Greenshank and
everyone got great views. The line of twitcher then started to dissolve as
we headed back to our cars, all chatting away, very satisfied. Our friends
now had their second tick for the day.

The quality of the day was maintained as we found two Grey Plover on the
Spit and then a third, an all time high count for us at WTP. The Ruff was
still a potential tick for one friend so off we went for the hunt. As we
watched some Red Knots a tip-off from a passing birder told us that “45
minutes ago it was at the borrow pit”. It was late in the day but we drove
direct, non-stop for the Borrow Pits. Too late, the bird had flown! The only
bird wading at the borrow pits was a Magpie Lark! OK, a slower trip out was
called for. We tried the Conservation Ponds with no luck and then the two
little ponds on the side-track; still no luck. Last chance was going to be
85WC-9 – the big pond on the way out.

The pond had a few Stints and Sharpies on it but as we watched, flocks of
waders arrived by the hundred. We soon had a mud-bank carpeted in small
waders, gently shuffling as they settled to roost. Then they would all flush
in a cloud of wings and chirps and settle back to the mud. Then the Ruff was
found. I have seen Reeve at the WTP before but never a Ruff. It was truly a
magic sight. Picture scanning through a pack of kindergarten kids and coming
across a basketball player – that is how it was, many hundreds of very small
birds and in their midst this huge, Obelix of “Asterix and Obelix”, of a
bird. Brilliant. Tick three was secure and we went home smiling.

So next year if you want a brilliant day out on Australia Day forget the
tennis, forget the BBQ and beer – try a twitch at Werribee Treatment Plant
instead (smile).

Oh, and I will add more in another posting, but on Saturday we went to the
You Yangs. The loop road and all tracks are still closed because they are
washed out. The birding was excellent in quality, if not quantity but I
imagine access will be limited for many weeks to come.

Cheers

Jenny