birding-aus

Fwd: Notice re Papua trip Aug-Sep 2011

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Notice re Papua trip Aug-Sep 2011
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:32:29 +1100
From: "Richard Noske" <>

TWO PLACES AVAILABLE FOR PAPUA BIRD TOUR

Owing to 2 people dropping out of the 14-day trip to Papua (West New
Guinea) from 24 August to 8 September this year, we have two spare
places for anyone wanting to see some of the world's most stunning
birds - in habitats ranging from the scenic West Papuan islands to
alpine grasslands at 2,300 metres above sea level.

Our host is Papua Bird Club http://www.papuabirdclub.com/
the history of which is explained below. If you are interested in
joining this trip, please email me directly for more details (see
below for address).

PLEASE note that I'm not making 1 cent from this trip (indeed I'm a
paying, 4th time customer), but happy to be helping PBC and its
invaluable work.

cheers
Richard

====================

Papua Bird Club (PBC) was founded in 1985 by Kris Tindige*, whose life was dedicated to the promotion of conservation in Papua (West New
Guinea, formerly Irian Jaya) and the support of Indigenous village
communities through ecotourism and education.

Tragically, Kris died from cancer at the age of only 41. His death
followed two long periods of medical treatment in Australia, all of
which was funded by more than a 100 friends, associates and past tour clients from 15 countries around the world, including Friends of Kris Tindige in Australia (FOKTA). Needless to say, Papua lost one of its few champions - a passionate and selfless advocate of conservation and sustainable livelihoods for Indigenous people.

Happily, however, thanks to the tireless efforts of Kris's loving
partner, Shita Prativi, PBC continues to provide natural history and
cultural tours, the profits of which are disbursed to education and
community development programmes. You can read more about the club at:
http://www.papuabirdclub.com/

Dr Richard Noske, who was one of the instigators of FOKTA, is
organising a group from Australia for a PBC tour, scheduled from 24
August to 8 September 2011. The 14-day (in-country) trip will be led
by Shita, and promises close to 300 species of birds (and some amazing butterflies!), including at least 6 displaying birds-of-paradise, some endemic to Papua, and the amazing Vogelkop Bowerbird, featured on many films produced by David Attenborough (who acknowledges Kris’s
assistance).

Throughout the trip, we will be using local guides and villagers, who benefit directly from the tours. One village is now completely self-
sufficient due to earnings from bird tours - a model for ecotourism!

If you are interested in the trip, please contact Richard directly at: