birding-aus

Guide wanted for WTP - Stilt Sandpiper

Subject: Guide wanted for WTP - Stilt Sandpiper
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:54:20 +0800

I am planning to come to Melbourne this Sunday, returning to Perth on Tuesday. I would arrive in Melbourne about 13:00, so probably too late to get to Werribee and look that afternoon for the Stilt Sandpiper?

Is someone available to help me access Werribee on Monday (and / or Tuesday if I dip on the Monday)? It would be very much appreciated.

If successful, I would probably bird west of Melbourne for any remaining time. e.g. You Yangs, Brisbane Ranges, coastal (for another look at Rufous Bristlebird), etc. Any places around there that would be worth visiting? Any areas of wet schlerophyll forest west of Melbourne? I unfortunately never bought the guide to birding sites in Victoria. I have Lloyd Neilsen's guide, and the original Thomas and Thomas. I will also have my GPS navigation.

I am planning to stay in the vicinity of Werribee? Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area? I guess I will check on wotif.com.

Thanks in advance.