birding-aus

Definitions and facts

To: Phil Gregory <>, Dave Torr <>
Subject: Definitions and facts
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:48:45 -0800 (PST)
Hi Gentlemen,

David, both Cocos and Christmas are oceanic Islands. That means that they arose
from and sit over oceanic plates, and have never been connected to any
continental land masses. Therefore they are not part of any continent. They may
be close to Asia, but they are simply not a geological part of Asia (and Cocos
is not so close to Asia anyway). I suspect that wikepedia would be confused
about the definition of continents because of the difficulty in identifying a
universal boundary between Asia and Europe, or some other reason that is
irrelevant to the definition of oceanic islands. Whatever.

Phil, my statement that all boundaries are transitional was an encapsulation of
my earlier email indicating that: 1)  the present political boundaries of
France, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia (all countries previously
mentioned by others in this string) are geologically recent artificial
constructs; and 2) the geographical location of islands (and continents) is not
static. Far from being zen, I suggest that continental  France is only a small
and artificial part of a geographic region, and that the nations of Indonesia
and Malaysia straddle more than one geographical region but are not complete in
their coverage of those regions.

Phil, if the ABA (do you mean the American Birding Association?) classifies
Cocos and Christmas as part of Asia, this would not constitute a fact but an
opinion. There have been many opinions on where these islands belong, and I
suspect that the ABA is just following an earlier opinion. Kloss (1929)
regarded both as part of what he termed a Malaysian subregion, due
to proximity, but considered Cocos as distinct a 'province' as Sumatra or
Borneo. Chasen (1935) included both in his 'Handlist of Malaysian Birds'.
However, both islands were colonies of Singapore at the time and both men
colonialists working for the Raffles Museum in Singapore. The current checklist
of oriental birds (Inskip & Inskip  1993) includes Christmas but not Cocos or
Wallacea. The Oriental Bird Club follows Inskip & Inskip but includes Wallacea,
and not Cocos. Christidis & Boles (1994, 2008) included both islands on the
Australian Checklist. These are all opinions or
 decisions about what to include and what to exclude. They are not facts. Here
are some unpublished facts:
The 14 resident landbirds on Christmas Island are 14% indomalayan, 14%
Australian, 7% Wallacean, 21% introduced, and 43% equivocal. However, none are
strictly from the nearby Greater Sundas (Sumatra, Borneo Java) subregion of the
Indomalayan region.  65% of visitors and vagrant birds to Christmas are
Palearctic migrants or pelagic seabirds, 24% are Indomalayan and 12% are
Australian.

I maintain that these islands are not unequivocally part of Asia on geological,
biogeograpical, political, economical or cultural grounds. I am not claiming
that they are unequivocally part of Australia on all grounds. They are oceanic
islands in the Indian Ocean. If you disagree, please dispense with emotive
descriptions of my style and provide some facts that prove me wrong.

Regardless of Wikipedia might have to say about the difienition of continents,