birding-aus

FW: NZ trip report

To: <>
Subject: FW: NZ trip report
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:29:39 +1100
Gooday BA

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a three week family visit and
birding trip through New Zealand. Briefly, we landed in Christchurch for
Christmas with family, travelled down east coast to Stewart Island, then up
west coast via Milford Sound to Picton. Crossed over to Wellington, on the
North Island and drove directly to Tirri Tirri Matangi Island via Taupo,
then down to Miranda Bird Observatory, then across to Ruatiti and back down
to Wellington, crossed the Cook Strait again over to Picton driving down the
east coast to Christchurch via Kaikoura. While seeing a nice cross section
of the country Judy and I saw about 102 bird species including 35 endemics
plus lots of natives and lots of introductions. Drove around in a cheap
small 1300cc hired vehicle, it was great, camped where we could and Motelled
where necessary. Very heavy rain along the west coast north of Milford Sound
moved us along quickly.

The list below shows the endemics we saw and mainly the first location at
which we saw them. Big dips for me were the Rock Wren and Long-tailed
Cuckoo. We did not try for the Orange-fronted Parakeet. While we went on a
couple of pelagic trips it appears that our visit was not the right time for
many of the pelagic species. If anyone has available to send me a recording
of the Rock Wrens call that would be fantastic. Will be going back in about
two years time.

Greg Little

Paradise Shelduck

Christchurch

South Island Oystercatcher

Christchurch & on way to Arthurs Pass

Black-fronted Tern

on way to Arthurs Pass

Kea

Otira Gorge, Arthurs Pass

Rifleman

Devils Punchbowl Falls, Arthurs Pass

Tomtit

Devils Punchbowl Falls, Arthurs Pass

New Zealand Scaup

Ferry, Rd, Christchurch

Spotted Shag

Sumner, Whitehead Cliffs, Christchurch

New Zealand Bellbird

Riccarton Bush, Christchurch, & Ulva Island

Yellow-eyed Penguin

Oamaru

Bronze (Stewart Is) Shag

Oamaru & Stewart Island