birding-aus

Unusual weather conditions causing mass deaths among seabirds

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Unusual weather conditions causing mass deaths among seabirds
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:28:47 +1000
Hi All,
A friend has just drawn my attention to an interesting article on a NZ government website regarding the coincidence of la Nina and starving seabirds. It says that the calm warm waters brought in by la Nina don't allow the water columns to mix, thus preventing the passage of small baitfish to the surface.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/news/media-releases/unusual-weather-conditions-causing-mass-deaths-among-seabirds/

My question is to the seabird people off the east coast of Australia. Are you seeing any of this event on the east coast? I recall a mass death of shearwaters during our spring, but is it more widespread?

I am wondering how the local breeding terns will have fared. Crested Terns are due to arrive back on the Sunshine Coast from the breeding grounds at the end of January. Now that I think about it, I recall checking out the Cook Island breeding site (mouth of the Tweed River, NSW/Qld border) at the end of November and being puzzled that the Crested Terns appeared not to have started breeding yet. I had also noted a still-high presence of Crested Terns on the coast at Noosa in November. However that number dropped dramatically in our December survey, and I assumed that all was well with the breeding season, if somewhat late.

I'm right out of my knowledge zone here, but fascinated, and wondering if there are subscribers with anything to contribute to the discussion.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening