birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Vic
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:23:34 +1100
Hi all,

We went down to the WTP today, just for a look around after all the rain.
When Joy spoke to the WTP office on Friday she got the message that it was
very wet and parts of the plant are closed. The same message is on their
answering machine today, when I booked in.

When we arrived we found that all the "T" section ponds are full of water,
so no waders, and the Austin Rd ponds have flowed out over the adjoining
paddocks. We did not attempt to go into the main part of the WTP but were
told by another birder that all roads are very wet and/or closed, even the
ones near Lake Borrie and the hide.

For the good news, it is still possible to drive into the Western Lagoons
area, through approx 150 mm of water on the entrance track before  the gate,
and walk to the "flooded paddock". We were told today that the Stilt
Sandpiper had been seen in this area this morning and we saw the Ruff and
plenty of Marsh Sandpipers. I got one quick look at the Long-toed Stint in
the Western Lagoon pond before it went behind some grass and did not come
out the other side, as they do. We did not go looking for the Stilt
Sandpiper.

It was a beautiful sunny day and so nice to get out after the wet week. It
is worth going down, even just to see all the water lying around, but at the
moment don't expect to get much further than the Western Lagoon and Spit
area.

cheers

Jenny