birding-aus

Stilt sandpiper seen at Werribee

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Stilt sandpiper seen at Werribee
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:24:20 +1100
Frank Antram,Sue Lashko and myself made the trip from Canberra last night to
spend the day at werribee today. Melbourne certainly put on the weather for us
with relentless driving rain for the morning, becoming almost tropical in the
afternoon.

We had the Ruff in the bag within 30 minutes of arriving, in the t-section
lagoon but it took us all day to find the Stilt. Indeed we only gave ourselves
another 30 minutes to find the bird before we had to leave to catch our return
flight...and there it was!

The stilt was seen in ponds adjacent to what i think are called the 'wet
paddocks'. It was associating with a number of marsh sandpiper, greenshank,
curlew sand and sharpies. This provided an ideal opportunity to review the
diagnostic features of the bird in comparison to the other species.

Other good birds included grey-tailed tattler and pectoral sandpiper. I am
sorry about the poor directions, but if you need more info please reply to this
email.

Finally, thanks to the other Frank from Melbourne who provided us with plenty
of good oil.

Regards
Alastair

Sent from my iPad