birding-aus

Birding around Lithgow by rail.

To: "Tony Keene" <>,
Subject: Birding around Lithgow by rail.
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:50:14 +1100
Hi Tony,

Most of the good birding sites around Lithgow are quite a few kilometres from the railway station. How far are you prepared to walk? One exception is the sewage ponds (view from the rubbish tip access road near the Geordie Street crossing) but at the moment there are very few ducks there due to the widespread rain - none of the usual Pink-eared or Blue-billed, just a few Aust Shovelers and the more common species. Sometimes you find Scarlet Robins, Buff-rumped Thornbills, etc in the dry forest on the other side of the road.

About a year ago someone posted a similar request for birding in the Blue Mountains by train, and my reply is on the archives at:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2009-12/msg00341.html
(or permanent link: http://tinyurl.com/6fa3hdw )

To this you could add the following at Mount Victoria:
From Mount Piddington at the end of Mt Piddington Road a vehicular track goes through the heath to Horne's Point, good for Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, honeyeaters, etc. A track from the carpark down to Witches Glen could give you Rockwarbler. Flame and Scarlet Robins are possible. Also from Mt Piddington is a walking track via Coxs Cave to Fairy Bower, which takes you through some nice wet gully areas and pockets of rainforest. I saw my first Pilotbird along this track back in the 80s. Also lyrebirds, Rufous Fantails, Yellow-throated Scrubwrens, etc etc.. The other end of the track comes out at the old toll house on the highway.

Good luck.

Carol