birding-aus

Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 12:25:07 +1100
It has always struck me as a little strange that a vagrant that turns up
once is added to the list, yet a bird that goes extinct is removed from the
list. Perhaps if a vagrant does not turn up again for (say) 50 years it
should also be removed from the list? There is also the interesting question
of how often does a vagrant have to come before it ceases to be a vagrant?
And - to be really philosophical - if a vagrant turns up and no-one twitches
it then does it exist???

On 9 January 2011 12:16, Laurie Knight <> wrote:

> How long do you have to reside at a place before you are considered to be
> part of the population?  Do you include tourists and short-term foreign
> students?  I'm not sure what the average "half-life" of internment on
> Christmas Island is.  The long-term residents of Christmas Island are made
> up of three ethnic groups: Chinese, Malays and mainland Australians.
>
> Shifting the focus of attention to the birds, would you include all the
> vagrants exciting the twitchers in the bird populations of Xmas and CCK
> Islands?
>
> LK
>

> On 09/01/2011, at 10:32 AM, Carl Clifford wrote:
>
>  Tom,
>>
>> I heartily agree. You could almost say that birding on Christmas and Cocos
>> was SE Asian birding for xenophobes, except for the fact that the population
>> of Cocos is mainly Malay and the population of Christmas is mainly Middle
>> Eastern, albeit they are banged-up in a concentration camp
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Clifford
>>

>> On 09/01/2011, at 7:38 AM, Tom Tarrant wrote:
>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I think you are missing the point regarding that comment, as exciting as
>> Christmas and Cocos sound (I would love to go birding there!) they are not
>> in the same faunal zone as Australia so many birders don't see the
>> relevance. You may as well go New Caledonia and add those species to your
>> 'French' list.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>>  And I remember there was a comment about the possible Short-toed Eagle in
>>> Victoria being better than the rarities reported on Cocos and Christmas
>>> in
>>> December.  Sorry.  Not even close!!!  I saw 11 new birds for my