birding-aus

declining birds in queensland

To: <>
Subject: declining birds in queensland
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:17:03 +1000

Following my post in January 2010 about the decline of some bird species in
the Sunshine Coast region of southeast Queensland over the past 30-40 years,
I have gathered more information from local birders which confirm my earlier
suspicions.

There has been little reduction in the area of suitable habitat for the
species concerned, so other factors appear to be involved. These most likely
relate to prolonged drought or other climate changes. The key species of
concern are as follows.

Spotted Quail-Thrush. There were regular sightings in the vicinity of the
Blackall Range and at sites such as Widgee and Wild Horse Mountain up until
the 1980s. Since then, apart from a handful of records in the Eudlo area in
the 2000s, I can't find any sightings in the Sunshine Coast-Gympie region.

Crimson Rosella. Formerly common across the region in rainforest and wet
sclerophyll forest at all altitudes, it is now found only in the highest
parts of the Conondale and Blackall range, and in small numbers. There are
many sites were Crimson was the dominant rosella in the 1970s but where only
Pale-headed occurs now. A recent sighting at Widgee was the first in many
years.

Satin Bowerbird. A similar story, with populations now concentrated in the
highest parts of the Conondale and Blackall Range. The bird was formerly a
regular winter visitor to  lowland sites where it has not been seen for many
years. In places such as Little Yabba and Booloumba creeks, where it was
once a common resident, it is now scarce.

Red-browed Treecreeper. The species is now absent from some mountain sites
in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and Gympie region where it was once
regular.

These species are all close to or at the northern end of their distribution
in south-eastern Australia, although the first three have isolated
populations in the highlands of north Queensland (the quail-thrush having
been discovered recently up that way).

Observers have noted steep, parallel declines in populations of several
formerly common mammal species in the region such as Boebuck, Red-legged
Pademelon and Greater Glider.

Perhaps the recent rains may turn things around.

Thanks to local birding folk who sent me information.

Greg Roberts