birding-aus

Swamp not Papuan Harrier

Subject: Swamp not Papuan Harrier
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 09:52:57 +1100
Thanks Sav,

I suspect it may not be that straightforward....In Australia I have never seen a bird that was as pale as the two recent photographs (but have seen a couple approaching this) and I have seen hundreds, probably 1000s, of Swamp Harriers here. In contrast, I've seen a few very pale birds during just a handful of short visits to NZ. I'd suggest that pale birds make up a larger proportion of the population in NZ rather than these sightings simply reflecting a greater abundance there.

Two possible explanations for this might be that the NZ birds have come through a genetic bottleneck when establishing that has led to a higher proportion of the male population developing these plumages at a younger age or alternatively perhaps the age structure of the NZ population is different to the Australian population (i.e. birds live longer in NZ) - quite possible given Swamp Harrier is effectively at the top of the pecking order in NZ but a long way down the list in Australia.

Cheers,
Rohan