birding-aus

PGP and Dogs at 13th Beach

To: birding aus <>
Subject: PGP and Dogs at 13th Beach
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 23:01:36 +1100
I made a short visit to a few spots around Ocean Grove / Barwon Heads this morning. There were 10 Pacific Golden Plover on the rocks at 13th Beach / Black Rock, plus a few stints and a single red-capped plover. There was a group of 7 Black-winged Stilts with the gulls on the beach. I couldn't find any Hooded Plover, or any other small birds on the beach itself - but in the 20 minutes I was there, I saw 3 dogs (all off-leash) with their owners. I thought this area was off-limits during the summer, but I couldn't see any signs - I'm sure there were signs when I was here a year ago.

I know the Hooded Plover nesting area is being monitored on the beach a few km east, between Ocean Grove and Pt Lonsdale - the signs and barriers are up there. My wife saw a few HP chicks a little way outside the fenced area on this beach a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what has happened at 13th though.

Russell Woodford

PS Good numbers of waders at the Barwon Estuary this morning - c. 40 Bar-tailed Godwit and 25 Common Greenshank, 5 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and a single E Curlew: probably a lot more than these but my head was spinning as the temperature started to climb into the 30s so I stopped counting!