birding-aus

World Checklists

Subject: World Checklists
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 18:23:31 +1000
The IOC have just posted v 2.7 available as a free download at worldbirdnames.org This one has Western Grasswren split from Thick- billed as per the recent Emu paper, has 10,456 species and accepts 233 families. They are also developing a version which lists subspecies, which will deal with around 30,000 taxa, and that will be a fantastic resource, The Clements Checklist updates are also out, and again its something of a fizzer- the purported taking on board of Australasian taxonomic changes is only partly done- the AOU/SACC clearly trumps out own taxonomists so Eastern Great Egret and Eastern Osprey, and also Pacific Barn Owl fail to appear, Elegant Honeyeater doesn't make it for New Guinea, but hallelujah, Satinbirds have at last got promoted to family status, a mere 7 years after this was first set out. Regarding Africa and Asia, tough luck, these await future updates so this list remains as out of date as ever. All somewhat disappointing and meaning that we still have to contend with a very different American taxonomy with our American clients, most of whom are locked into Clements, as is Avisys, the major software programme.
Oh for a mac-compatible IOC Avisys-style database!

If anyone is interested i have a review of the Checklist of the Birds of New Zealand 2010 4 th edition, (a very curate's egg kind of beast indeed), which I'm happy to share, and which I have also submitted it to Bird-o.
Good birding for 2011
Phil & Sue Gregory

www.cassowary-house.com.au