birding-aus

Ethnoornithology update - Mark Cocker's "Birds and People" book project

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Ethnoornithology update - Mark Cocker's "Birds and People" book project
From: bob gosford <>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:20:19 +0930
Dear all,

Just a quick note to encourage you to have a look at our ethnoornithological
colleague Mark Cocker's *Birds and People* book project which is, after more
than five years of hard work, within sight of completion.

For those not familiar with Mark's work - particular his work on
ethnoornithology - I would recommend that you have a look at his regular
contributions to the *Country
Diary<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/series/country-diary+profile/mark%5C%20cocker>
*at *The Guardian* and also his previous books, including his
wonderful look at the ethnoornithology of the United Kingdom in his
magisterial book *Birds
Britannica<http://www.rbooks.co.uk/product.aspx?id=0701180072>
*, which has been described as:

"...one of the most important bird books of the last decade. It covers
cultural links; social history; birds as food; ecology; the lore and
language of birds; myths, art, literature and music; anecdotes, birdsong and
rare facts; modern developments; migration, the seasons and our sense of
place. An attempt to describe the interaction of birds and humans, it
captures the essence of why birds matter."

Birds and People is a collaborative effort and after five years work Mark
notes that:

"Birds and People is a book closing in on completion. It has been an
enormously challenging project but we have had a fabulous response from
people all over the world. To date 380 individuals of 60 nationalities
have submitted many thousands of contributions on the full spectrum of ways
that birds and people interact. These participants include a huge cross
section of humanity, from life-serving prisoners to
internationally acclaimed, award-winning poets and novelists, from Mongolian
eagle-hunters to Iranian schoolteachers, and from Maya to Maoris and Masai."

You can read more about this ground-breaking work at the *Birds and People
website <http://www.birdsandpeople.org/> * here.

And if you are interested in learning more about - and contributing to - the
fascinating world of ethnoornithology and ethnobiology I would recommend a
visit to the website of the *Ethnoornithology Research & Study
Group<http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ethnoornithology/>
*.

Best of the season to you all,

Bob Gosford
Ethnoornithology Research & Study Group moderator
Alice Springs,
central Australia