birding-aus

Causing the death of tern chicks for photography.

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>, Denise Goodfellow <>,
Subject: Causing the death of tern chicks for photography.
From: bob gosford <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:52:46 +0930
Dear all,

This looks like a disaster for all concerned - not least the poor Terns - and from this shot it looks like at least 100 chicks - all no more than 1 - 2 weeks old - are being driven - surely on purpose - into the water.

The issues just keep mounting and the possibilities at present look like (1) - chicks being herded (?) into a group and driven into the water - surely this must have been done with some knowledge or intent as to the likely outcome; (2) where are the parents - multiply the number of chicks by (say) 1.5 and you have a large number of distressed adults; (3) the impact on the breeding event at that site; (4) how many times did the filmamkers attempt this before they achieved 'success'? - once, twice, many times?

I've not looked into the legal issues but the following come to mind

1 - depending on the species there may be a variety of issues under the Cth's EPBC Act;

2 - Assuming that this took place in Qld (and I may be wrong - the promo says 'Crab island, off the northern tip of Australia') there may/must be Qld legislation relating to animal cruelty/welfare. This may not only be an issue for the cameraman & director but the producer of the film and perhaps also the various channels that broadcast it.

3 - and finally (for now) echoing recent issues aired here and elsewhere - on whose land and waters was this exercise undertaken - if on traditional Aboriginal lands what, and from whom, permission was given to undertake and film this exercise?

The more I see and hear the more horrified I become...

Best,

BG