birding-aus

Wimberley Head Version (WH 200)

To: "Ivan Traverso" <>
Subject: Wimberley Head Version (WH 200)
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:05:09 +1100
Ivan,

I looked at the Wimberly and other gimbal type heads a few years back and ended up buying the Manfrotto model 393. It is much more solid than the Wimberley, I think and at around USD 180, a touch lighter on the wallet. The bracket was originally designed for use with a monopod by sports photographers to lump around their 500-800mm lenses. The 393 is built like the proverbial brick convenience. My only fault with it is that it is rather over engineered and so a bit heavy, but you won't have to worry about dropping it, unless your or someone else's foot is in the way.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford