birding-aus

COCOS CHRISTMAS TRIP REPORT NOV-DEC 2010 FINAL

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: COCOS CHRISTMAS TRIP REPORT NOV-DEC 2010 FINAL
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:52:27 -0800 (PST)

Part 3. Final

Our fifth day on Cocos was spent on Home Island and it turned out to be one of
the most exciting days of the trip.  We walked straight to the grounds of the
Clunies-Ross Mansion and again had frustrating views of a very elusive hobby.
As we continued south along the island’s coastline a passerine landed on top of
dead tree in the distance.  A quick look through the scope revealed a possible
Purple-backed Starling.  It was still 250m away and we all quickly made our way
closer.  It wasn’t long before we all had nice views of Australia’s second ever
PURPLE-BACKED STARLING.  Our inconceivable run of vagrants was continuing and
the best was still yet to come!!

Half an hour later Jenny Spry and Lorna Mee flushed a male and female WATERCOCK
from near the banana plantation.  We unsuccessfully searched the area for
another hour, eventually abandoning our search to continue further around the
island.  Later that afternoon, as our ferry departure time approached, we again
entered the banana plantation and within seconds a female Watercock darted
across the road only 10m in front of us.  Amazingly, seconds later the jet
black male followed.  We boarded the ferry back to West Island a very happy
group of birders.

On our last day was spent on West Island we decided to do a predawn survey of
the wetlands. Not long after arriving three small accipiters began cruising the
area.  We immediately recognised our Chinese Goshawk from earlier in the week.
We had good views and took several photos of the other two birds, both of which
were Australia’s first ever JAPANESE SPARROWHAWKS.

In the morning light as Jenny peered through the scope across the water, she
said, “I’ve got an unusual duck over here” Unbelievable! Australia’s first
COMMON TEAL.  Several photos were taken as everyone else arrived to see this
remarkable find.  Later in the day we found our fourteenth Asian House Martin
of the trip and well as a lone Dollarbird.

Birds are continuing to arrive on both islands and this coming summer is an
excellent time to visit the islands.  Our March 5th – 19th trip is looking like
being one of the most exciting we’ve ever done with many of the birds seen on
this trip expected to hang around until the end of summer.  There are still a
couple of vacancies available.

Rarities seen on this trip.

Asian Koel
Grey Wagtail
Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Schrenck’s Bittern (2nd Australian record)
White-breasted Waterhen
Mossy-nest Swiftlet (2nd Australian record)
Asian House Martin
Large Hawk Cuckoo (2nd Australian record)
Chinese Goshawk  (1st  Australian record)
Western Reef Egret
Saunder’s Tern
Yellow Bittern
Little Stint
Pin-tailed Snipe
Pectoral Sandpiper
Common Redshank
Bulwer’s Petrel
Jouanin’s Petrel
Purple-backed Starling (2nd Australian record)
Watercock
Japanese Sparrowhawk (1st  Australian record)
Common Teal (1st  Australian record)

Cheers
Richard Baxter
Birding Tours Australia