birding-aus

Another not a bird question

To: Judith Hoyle <>, BirdingAus <>
Subject: Another not a bird question
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:05:45 +1000
    CORRECTION      CORRECTION      CORRECTION      CORRECTION

On December 13, I sent an email which began:

"Hi Judith,

           " Like Greg Clancy, my first thought was Asian House Gecko, but
they are indeed house animals by choice, and your friend is arboreal, you
say.

"So I think there is little doubt that what you have is one of Brisbane's
more unusual animals.  Unusual, in that it's very common ... and very little
understood.

"My pet-name for it is the "Bipping Cicada", but officially it is the
Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersii)."

Old and incompetent am I.  It 's some years since I made my recordings of
the cicadas and when I was typing my email I took the wrong name off page 83
of the Museum book.

Your cicada, Judith, is actually the Bottle Cicada Glaucopsaltria viridis,
and not the Bladder Cicada which appears on the same page.

My apologies.

Syd

========