birding-aus

Night-time feeding by Brown Thornbill

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Night-time feeding by Brown Thornbill
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:36:32 +1100
Last night (about midnight) we were watching TV in my lounge room with the
curtains of the large window to the back deck open.  There had just been a
close thunderstorm with periods of heavy rain.  Something fluttered to the
window and slid to the deck.  We assumed it was a large moth, as often happens.

Next it seemed stuck to the flywire netting of the flywire door in the middle
panel and it was obviously not a moth.  I realised it was a small bird.

The cat, Alan and I all suddenly became very interested.  Alan identified the
bird as a Brown Thornbill.  It continued this activity at the window,
occasionally resting on the flywire screen for about 10 minutes.  We assumed it
was after the insects attracted to the light.  It may have been disturbed from
its roost by the thunderstorm and sought shelter on the deck.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?   It was new to us.

Elizabeth Shaw & Alan Crawford (visiting)
Phillip Island
Victoria