birding-aus

Sooty Owl Mt Kembla

Subject: Sooty Owl Mt Kembla
From: terrill nordstrom <>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:05:28 +1100
Illawarra Birders Inc had there Christmas party on Friday night and
afterwards went spotlighting. After driving for some time we had only
seen a Sulphur-crested roosting high up in the treetops,we thought that we
were going to dip out on any thing good but just when we were heading
home we heard the bomb whistle of a Sooty. We called the bird in and watch
it for around 5 minutes. It was moving from branch to branch with its wings
out and at times it fanned it tail as well,we were wondering if the bird may
have been a juvenile as we have not observed this behaviour before. Because
of the
foliage and the height it was very hard to observe any features of the bird.
regards Terrill  (Illawarra birders Inc)